Green & Healthy Schools Wisconsin supports and encourages schools to create safe learning environments and prepare students to understand, analyze and address the major environmental and sustainability challenges now and in the future through providing resources, recognition and certification.
Green & Healthy Schools Wisconsin recognizes achievement in nine focus areas:
- Community involvement;
- Environmental and Sustainability education;
- Environmental health (indoor air quality, chemical management, integrated pest management);
- Health and Wellness;
- Recycling and Waste management;
- School site;
- Transportation; and
In just one year, the Longfellow Green Team and ReFlo have raised over $400k to transform a half acre of lifeless asphalt into interactive green space. For decades to come this new green playground will enrich the lives of 850+ students and thousands of Clarke Square families.
Green playground developments include:
- Soccer Field
- Outdoor Classroom
- Amphitheater/ Performance Stage
- Interactive Playscapes
- Bioswales & Rainwater Retention Features
Current Longfellow Playground
- Longfellow School- 1021 S. 21st, Milwaukee WI 53204
- Grades K3- 8th
- Community School
- 850 + students
- 97 % economically disadvantaged
- Combined Sewer Area
- 145,000 sf of impervious surfaces
- 91% of the school is impervious
- Journey House
- Founded in 1969
- Innovative building and programming
- Partnership with H.W. Longfellow School
- Served 8, 916 in 2018
To support us please click here or for more information call (414) 902-9800.
1. Sprout School– Register, meet prerequisites, and provide a narrative about becoming a Green & Healthy School.
H.W. Longfellow School became a Sprout School as of July of 2018.