Whitman’s Family Pizza Night will be Thursday, February 16th from 5:30 – 7:00pm. A purple handout went home with students so that families could sign up for how many members of their family will be attending. Please return that handout OR call our parent coordinator, Ms. Hill-Scanlan at 604-7700 to register for this night. We want to make sure we order enough pizzas for everyone!
December Attendance and January Attendance Contest
During the month of December we only had one classroom with 95% attendance! Our school-wide goal is 95%. The top three classrooms were: Ms. Morales Room 7 95.21%, Ms. Hackbarth Room 23 94.67%, and Ms. Christensen Room 6 94.46%. Whitman will be sponsoring a January Attendance Contest from January 9th-February 3rd. Students who have 95% attendance or better (one absence day) are eligible to participate in the Attendance Dance on February 10th during the school day, and in the raffle for the following prizes: 1st—2 passes to Country Springs Water Park 2nd—4 movie passes 3rd—4 Jimmy John’s complimentary coupons. Please help us continue to meet our attendance goals by making sure your child attends school unless they are very sick with vomiting or a fever, etc.
Helping Your Child Stay Healthy
* Remind children to thoroughly wash hands (20 seconds–sing the ABC song) using soap and warm water before and after meals and after using the restroom.
* Avoid sharing objects such as utensils, cups, and bottles.
* Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands afterwards. If tissue-less, cough or sneeze into your elbow or upper arm, not into your hands.
* Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth to keep germs from entering your body.
* Get adequate sleep–10-12 hours a night!
* Consider having your child get a flu shot—recommended for children 6 months and older.
Cold, Snowy, Wintery Weather Is Here!
Winter is here! It is important that students wear warm coats, hats, gloves/mittens and boots to school. Elementary and middle school students will be outside for recess and midday options if the temperature is above 20 degrees, depending on the wind chill, humidity, and precipitation. Please send shoes along in backpacks for indoor wear. If you need assistance with winter gear please contact the office at 604-7700 or Ms. Wright, our school social worker, at 604-7730. As the snow drifts increase on the sides of the streets, please avoid parking on or near corners, driveways, and in bus drop-off zones. It is difficult for busses and cars to maneuver around you and to spot children crossing the street. Thank you!