Spring Break this school year will be from Monday, March 26th through Friday, March 30th. Students return to school on Monday, April 2nd. We hope all our Whitman families have a relaxing and fun Spring Break!
Whitman students recently completed the Winter STAR assessment in reading (2nd-8th grade), mathematics (1st-8th grade), and early literacy (K5-1st). These assessments inform reading and mathematics instruction and determine student skills, growth or need for intervention. MPS recently re-aligned the suggested STAR proficiency levels to better predict performance on the state’s Badger Forward exam. The following school-wide increases were made:
· +14 % proficiency reading
· +9% proficiency math
· +26% proficiency early literacy
Winter STAR assessment results will be sent home with the interim report cards in January. Please keep encouraging students to utilize their math and reading online tools during the week and on the weekend. Access to these online tools can be found at http://clever.com/in/milwaukee.
Whitman School Receives the Honor of the Official “Bell Ringing”
The official district celebration took place at Walt Whitman Elementary School on the first day of school, September 5th. Along with MPS Superintendent Darienne Driver, others who welcomed students included Governor Scott Walker, Department of Public Instruction Superintendent Tony Evers, State Senator David Craig, Alderman Mark Borkowski, MPS School Board Director Paula Phillips, and other community partners.
Students were greeted by Bango, mascot for the Milwaukee Bucks, and by members of We Six, a jazz ensemble from the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. The Whitman students and staff truly enjoyed the opening day celebration!
A NOTE FROM OUR PRINCIPAL, MS. SCHUMACHER-STEFANOVIC
Dear Whitman Families,
The Whitman team is excited to have our returning and new students and families with us for the 2017-18 school year. Our goal to provide your child with a strong academic foundation, in a caring school environment.
The Whitman community is looking forward to building on the accomplishments of the 2016-17 school year:
· Being named a WI DPI School of Recognition for four consecutive years, five years total! Whitman qualified in the Beating the Odds category.
· Receiving three WI DPI awards—PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Support) Silver Level Award; RTI (Response to Intervention) Silver Level Award in Reading; and RTI Bronze Level Award in Mathematics.
· Earning the Superintendent’s “Excellence in Equity Award” for high academic achievement gains for all ethnic groups of students.
· Continuing as a GE Demonstration School! Whitman serves as a model K-8 school, implementing the common core curriculum at high levels, with excellent student engagement and learning in all classrooms.
· Being awarded a “Green Machine” by GE. This hydroponic growing system produces leafy green vegetables and herbs in a one month time span. We are excited that our students have the opportunity to be involved with this STEM project!
During 2017-18, our school staff will be focusing on several key initiatives including; 1) increasing the academic achievement of all students, with an emphasis on reading, 2) continuing with last year’s writing initiative, 3) supporting MPS’ Year of the Arts Focus (YOTA) by infusing the arts in the language arts curriculum, and 4) continuing to increase parent/family engagement at Whitman.
If you have friends or family members that are still looking for a school home for their children, we still have available seats in some grade levels. Please let them know what an excellent academic program Whitman offers!
I am looking forward to working with you and your children. Please feel free to contact me at 414-604-7700 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Principal Walt Whitman K-8 School
Whitman School has received Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction “School of Recognition” honors for the 5th year in a row! We are extremely proud of all our students and staff for this awesome achievement. (Pictured from left to right: Miguel Sanchez, Sally Schumacher-Stefanovic, Tony Evers, Amy Schuldt)