Nearly 95% of the Vieau population is Hispanic, with 41% learning English as a Second Language (ESL). Based on these percentages, it is critical that Vieau offers a variety of strong bilingual programs in order to cater to young language learners and their families. Most importantly, Vieau School offers a maintenance program. Through this program, students learn English but are encouraged to maintain their Spanish language skills.
El Portal, a family and professional community learning center, provides individuals with the tools necessary for financial, social and professional success.
El Portal… Promotes a better education as a vehicle to a better life. Offers programs according to individual needs. Reflects and promotes diversity. Teaches the necessary skills to overcome challenges and obstacles. Assists individuals in developing self-confidence. Links individuals, families and communities to better futures.
Programs available through El Portal include…
- Mexican Institution’s “Plaza Comunitaria”: Through this partnership, El Portal is able to offer a distance learning program that provides education via a technological network that integrates educational services ranging from adult basic literacy to high school courses as well as continuing education courses. Plaza Comunitaria is a lifelong learning system that prepares adults for work and life.
- Instituto Technologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey Virtual University (CCA): This is a network of educational programs offered by the Technological Institute of Monterrey. Using a technological platform, Web Tec, the institute provides educational programs that support the development of the Hispanic population in the United States. The main objective is to reduce the existing educational gap.
- Multicultural Entrepreneur Institute, Bilingual Entrepreneur Class: Through this program, Vieau offers classes on starting a small business. At the end of the program, prospective business owners have developed a business plan and have obtained a certificate of completion. In addition, long-term technical assistance and a network that connects entrepreneurs to financial institutions is available.
- Binational Migrant Education Program: The main purpose of this program is to provide a cultural and educational exchange to benefit immigrant students in the United States.
- Mexican Consulate/Consulado Móvil: Through the Mexican Consulate in Chicago, an outreach program provides passport and Mexican ID (matricula consular) services to Mexican citizens living abroad.
- Mexico/Wisconsin Teacher Exchange Program: In this program, teachers from Mexico come to Vieau and Vieau teachers travel to Mexico to work with different groups of students.