Rufus King is authorized to administer both the Diploma Program and the Middle Years Program (MYP).The MYP is designed for students ages 11-16 years. The school received authorization as an IB World School for grades six through 10 in order to expand its commitment to the IB curriculum’s high quality and challenging, international education at the middle school and ninth and tenth grade levels.
What is the IB Middle Years Programme?
The MYP is designed for students aged 11 to 16. It provides a framework of learning which encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and to the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement, qualities that are essential for life in the 21st century.
The MYP is flexible enough to accommodate the demands of most national or local curriculums. It builds upon the knowledge, skills and attitudes developed in the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) and prepares students to meet the academic challenges of the IB Diploma Programme.
The IB Middle Years Programme
- addresses students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- enables students to understand and manage the complexities of our world, and provides them with the skills and attitudes they need in order to take responsible action for the future
- ensures breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding through the study of eight subject areas
- requires the study of at least two languages to support students in understanding their own culture and that of others
- provides the opportunity for students to undertake an independent project into an area of interest
The IB Middle Years Programme consists of eight subject groups integrated through five interactive areas providing global contexts for learning.
Students are required to study two at least two languages (as part of their multilingual profile), humanities, sciences, mathematics, arts, physical education and technology. In their final year, students will also undertake an independent ‘personal project’ to demonstrate the development of their skills and understanding.
IB Learner Profile
IB at Rufus King
IB World Schools share a common philosophy-a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education-that we believe is important for our students.
Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP) or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Certificate).