1. Attention Juniors, here’s your Civics test question of the day to prepare for the Civics exam on March 1st. The answer will come at the end of the announcements. What are two rights of everyone living in the United States? A. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press B. Freedom to break the law, freedom on assembly C. Freedom of worship, freedom with no rights.
2. It is time we Spread the Word to End the Word™ and build awareness for society to stop and think about its’ use of the R-word. Use of that R-word, “retard” or “retarded,” is hurtful and painful and whether intended or not, is a form of bullying. Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families and friends. The R-word is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur. Eliminating the use of this word is a step toward respect. Please join the campaign and sign the banner in your lunch to end the use of the R-word on Wednesday March 2nd.
3. Students of Rufus King International High School: The IB mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, caring students who help to create a better and more peaceful world. To that end, let’s all do our part to show respect for all and follow the school policy for students participating in after school activities. Students must be in their after school activity by 3:00pm. School safety will sweep the building and you may be asked to leave the building if you are found in the hallways. Please be at your activity at 3:00 promptly. Together we can continue to make Rufus King a safe and fun place to learn.
4. Attention class of 2018–The Personal Project showcase is coming up on Friday March 11th. Schedule your final face to face meeting with your advisor. If you are having trouble with any part of your product or reflection report, talk to your advisor or see Ms. Schlipp in room 307 during school hours or after school in the library on Thursdays. Your planning committee needs the form filled out for your showcase needs. See your English teacher for the showcase form.
5. Attention juniors! ACT is coming up fast. Luckily, a few seniors have created an ACT study and Tips guide, for their CAS project, to help you all get the best score possible. These include tips, strategies, and practice problems to get you prepared. Pick them up from the Guidance office at the end of the day
6. Tuesday is the ACT!!! Please make sure you are aware of what room to report to. Room assignments are posted in the halls and with you teachers.
7. Attention students and staff! We had a tight race for student of the month with several ties. The Rufus King Generals PRIDE winners for February are: In 9th Grade–Nolan Dixon and Abdi Mursai, 10th grade–Sahsheem Davis and Alayna Perry, 11th grade–Jayla Robinson and Kiersten Walker, 12th grade–Brinee Randle, and our staff member of the month is Ms. Megan Hayes. Please see Ms. Laplante to have your picture taken and receive your prize! Great job everyone!!!
8. Attention All Juniors and Seniors. Prom is on Saturday, April 23rd. All tickets are $65 per person. This is an event you don’t want to miss. Ticket sales begin March 21st during the lunch hours. See you there Mrs. Dreyer and Mr. Nichols.
9. And the Answer to today’s Civics question is –A. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press