1. Wilma Rudolph is a true survivor and American sporting hero. Despite having suffered from polio and a range of other life-threatening sicknesses, she became a triple Olympic gold medal winner in track and field.
2. Attention Juniors, here’s your Civics test question of the day to prepare for the Civics exam on March 1st. The answer will come at the end of the announcements. What ocean is on the west coast of the United States? A. Atlantic Ocean B. Arctic Ocean C. Pacific Ocean
3. Boys interested in playing golf this spring, there will be an informational meeting next Wednesday March 2nd afterschool in room 219. If you have any questions, see coach Harmon.
4. Attention all current members of Science National Honor Society. We have an important meeting this Friday to discuss inductions and service hours. Attention all prospective members: remember that the application is due this Friday in Mr. Lund’s room, room 126. Thanks, your SNHS officers
5. It is time we Spread the Word to End the Word™ and build awareness for society to stop and think about its’ use of the R-word. Use of that R-word, “retard” or “retarded,” is hurtful and painful and whether intended or not, is a form of bullying. Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families and friends. The R-word is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur. Eliminating the use of this word is a step toward respect. Please join the campaign and sign the banner in your lunch to end the use of the R-word on Wednesday March 2nd.
6. All Students who wish to attend the State Chess Tournament, please submit your paper work to Newton or Graf by the end of the day.
7. If you are a high school student interested in becoming an officer in the US Military and attending a world class college, Congresswoman Gwen Moore, invite students to meet with representatives from the US Coast Guard Academy, US Air Force Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy US Military Academy at West Point, and US Naval Academy this Saturday at Hamilton High School. The program starts at 9:30 a.m. See guidance for a flyer
8. Students of Rufus King International High School: The IB mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, caring students who help to create a better and more peaceful world. To that end, let’s all do our part to show respect for all and follow the school policy for students participating in after school activities. Students must be in their after school activity by 3:00pm. School safety will sweep the building and you may be asked to leave the building if you are found in the hallways. Please be at your activity at 3:00 promptly. Together we can continue to make Rufus King a safe and fun place to learn.
9. The 2016 College Goal FAFSA Frenzy event date is this Saturday, February 27, 2016 at the TEAMUP College Access Center- South, 3333 South 27th Street starting at 10am. Attending a 2016 FAFSA Frenzy event will give you:
* Free professional assistance completing the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
* Free information regarding federal student aid programs and state aid.
* The chance to win a scholarship for attendance at MATC through the “Promise” postsecondary program for the fall 2016 term.
10. Attention class of 2018–The Personal Project showcase is coming up on Friday March 11th. Schedule your final face to face meeting with your advisor. If you are having trouble with any part of your product or reflection report, talk to your advisor or see Ms. Schlipp in room 307 during school hours or after school in the library on Thursdays. Your planning committee needs the form filled out for your showcase needs. See your English teacher for the showcase form.
11. Attention juniors! ACT is coming up fast. Luckily, a few seniors have created an ACT study and Tips guide, for their CAS project, to help you all get the best score possible. These include tips, strategies, and practice problems to get you prepared. Pick them up from the Guidance office at the end of the day
12. And the Answer to today’s Civics question is –C. Pacific Ocean