All freshmen attending Milwaukee High School of the Arts will be enrolled in Pre-Ap classes. The Pre-AP Program offers consistent, high standards in focused courses that help build, strengthen, and reinforce students’ content knowledge and skills. Pre-AP courses get students ready for AP and other college-level coursework. Pre-AP courses are designed to be the standard, baseline course in each respective subject. Pre-AP is for ALL students.
Pre-AP Shared Instructional Principles
Benefits of the
Pre-AP is about achieving results for all students. Here’s how the program is designed to accomplish that.
- Engaging resources meet students where they are.
- Meaningful feedback shows teachers where each student needs additional support and focus.
- Effective practice helps every student to build, strengthen, and master content knowledge and skills.
- Flexibility in instructional resources honors the skill and authority of teachers.
- Challenging coursework emphasizes key literacy, quantitative, and analysis skills across all five disciplines and reinforces these skills in multiple classroom experiences.
- Open access—a program requirement—means that Pre-AP courses and their high-quality instruction and assessments will serve all students
Arts and Academics
MHSA is proud to have a student population that shares a passion to excel in their art area. This is one of the many reasons that the Arts is the best school in the area! Many of our students have a passion to excel academically as well. The Pre-AP program helps to prepare students for current AP offerings, rewards hard-working students, and provides an experience that challenges high achieving students.
The Pre-AP Program’s goals are to:
- Significantly increase the number of students who are able to access and complete college-level work—like AP—before leaving high school.
- Improve the college readiness of all students.
MHSA AP Course Offerings!
English Language and Composition
English Literature and Composition
Capstone ( Seminar + Research)
United States History
United States History
United States Government and Politics
“Pre-Ap classes have helped to teach me individual and group skills that will help me better prepare for a successful future”
-Alexander Eberhage, Visual Arts Major
“Pre-AP teaches advanced skills that help to make more difficult material understandable. It has been very helpful to be able to apply these skills across the different classes that I have. .”
-Amya Camberos, Visual Arts Major
“Pre-AP is a new program offered by the College Board. The program was developed to strengthen student’s college readiness skills to prepare them for college-level coursework. Our goal is that Pre-AP will develop the skills and confidence to succeed in Advanced Placement courses and other related college-level coursework. Students at MHSA are able to experience the rigor of Pre-AP instruction in both their core academic areas and art area majors”
-Mr. Farris, MHSA Principal
Pre-Ap/AP Coordinator: Ms. Dean
Pre-Ap English 10:
Dr. Dworschack Kinter
Pre-Ap Dance: Mr. Drews
Pre-Ap Visual Arts:
Pre-Ap World History and Geography:
For more information