Please be aware of the traffic patterns around our building. The only entrance into the school for parents and students is the ‘buzzer’ entrance on the Prospect side near the Flagpole.
Maryland Avenue (the street) is reserved for busses; there is no parking on Maryland Avenue during drop-off and pickup times.
Morning Drop Off
Parents/guardians have three options:
- “DROP ZONE” in the parking lot, using the entrance to the parking lot on the far north end; from there you will travel back toward school where a MAM staff member will meet your vehicle and assist your child(ren) in exiting the vehicle and making their way into school.
- “Hug and Go!” on Prospect. This area is marked by signage and includes the curbside immediately in front of the school. Parents/guardians should wait, signal and pull into the “Hug and Go!” and have children exit the vehicle from the drivers side. Quick hug and kiss and GO! There is NO PARKING in the “Hug and Go!” – ideally parents/guardians will not even exit the vehicle at all.
- SHORT TERM PARKING. 10 minutes or less (any longer park in the lot!) The curbs surrounding the school are technically NO PARKING ZONES. Due to our limited parking the city of Milwaukee permits some grace for SHORT TERM PARKING during the AM Drop Off, mid and end of day pick ups. You may park along the Prospect side of the building anywhere but the “Hug and Go!” and the 10 feet immediately to the south of the parking lot exit. The “Hug and Go!” is for hugging and going, the 10 feet to the south of the parking lot exit is to ensure drivers can clearly see oncoming traffic when exiting.
- If you park on the east side of the street – PLEASE USE THE CROSS WALKS. It is extremely unsafe to dodge between cars with your children. – Please DO NOT DOUBLE PARK and drop your children into the street.
When approaching the school on Prospect before the Prospect / Maryland split, there are three lanes of traffic.
- The left lane is for a left turn onto Maryland Avenue only.
- The middle lane goes straight onto Prospect (best for using the drop zone)
- The right lane goes straight onto Prospect only (best for passing school to use parking lot)
PLEASE do not double-park on Prospect Avenue – -use the procedures above for dropping off children. Thanks for your awareness and efforts to keep arrival and dismissals safe for the all of the children and families of Maryland Avenue Montessori School.