Green & Healthy Schools Wisconsin supports and encourages schools to create safe learning environments and prepare students to understand, analyze and address the major environmental and sustainability challenges now and in the future through providing resources, recognition and certification.
Green & Healthy Schools Wisconsin recognizes achievement in nine focus areas:
- community involvement;
- environmental and sustainability education;
- environmental health (indoor air quality, chemical management, integrated pest management);
- health and wellness;
- recycling and waste management;
- school site;
- transportation; and
Green & Healthy Schools Recognition Levels:
1. Sprout School– Register, meet prerequisites, and provide a narrative about becoming a Green & Healthy School.
Lincoln Avenue School is became a Sprout School Spring of 2016.
2. Seedling School – Demonstrate achievement in at least one focus area.
Lincoln Avenue School is CURRENTLY a Seedling School!
Lincoln Avenue School works collaboratively with Sixteenth Street Community Health Centers -Environmental Health Department. As a result of this partnership our students have been part of the KK River Explorers program and the school has been the recipient of a garden and water grant to build a community garden with a rainwater encashment system.
In addition, Lincoln Avenue School as of September 2017 will be partnering with Compost Crusader who will work with our students to help reduce the waste from our lunch room. Students will also have an opportunity to visit the composting site and recycling center in Milwaukee to learn more about the process and increase engagement at the school level.
3. Sapling School – Demonstrate achievement in at least five focus areas, including Energy, Environmental Health, Recycling & Waste Management, School Site, and Water. In addition, schools will also be certified by Project Learning Tree GreenSchools.
Lincoln Avenue School plans to achieve Sapling Status by December of 2018.
4. Sugar Maple School –Demonstrate achievement in all focus areas. The highest achieving schools at this level are eligible for nomination for the U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools nomination. Sugar Maple schools are recognized by Project Learning Tree as Sustaining GreenSchools.
Lincoln Avenue School achieved Sugar Maple Status in Fall of 2018! We are now applying to be a Nationally Recognized Green Ribbon School!