HAMILTON HIGH SCHOOL
Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year at Hamilton High School. We are starting this year through a virtual platform which connects us in mind and spirit. Use this opportunity to forge new relationships with colleagues, students, and families. Encourage student participation with brainteasers and technology components that excite the mind. Remember we are in this together. Collaboration, consistency, commitment, care, character, and community will pull us through these unprecedented times. The Hamilton Family is where “Together We Can.”
Have a great year, Ham Fam!!!
Reminders for Teachers:
• Attention, all teachers! We are working to set dates and times for students to collect supplies such as textbooks, instruments, etc. Please be sure to complete the survey needed for Ms. Schauer (our full time librarian-yeah!) and email Mrs. Green the information about what items you are hoping to pass out to students. We will need to make a schedule for everyone able to assist in making this happening. I am hoping this can occur during our afternoon sessions in the first couple of weeks.
• Please remember to email syllabi and Google classroom codes to parents and students
• Please make sure that students and parents have your updated contact information
• Even though we are starting school virtually, students will still need school supplies. Encourage parents to take advantage of back-to-school sales on supplies.
• Remember to check your emails throughout the day to stay updated on any meetings, changes, plans, etc.
• If you need a device for home usage, please complete the Smartsheet form: https://forms.gle/gRWgMFWVo1h64zHt5 This link can also be found in an email from Ms. Olscheske from July 30.
• KEYS: Our building has been re-keyed. Please adhere to the following procedures:
On Monday, August 10 all classrooms will be unlocked. After PD, please see Ms. Guzinski in Room 314 to receive your new key for your classroom. Be prepared to fill out a key form contract. If you have not already done so, turn in your old keys as they will no longer work.
Coaches & Safety Staff: You have not turned in all of your keys! You need to turn them in ASAP, or you will not receive a new key.
• COVID-19 GUIDELINES: The building has been cleaned and disinfected per the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Milwaukee County, and the City of Milwaukee Health Department. Please observe the following guidelines:
– The building will be open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am until 4:00 pm.
– Staff must use their badge to gain access to the building. Your badge should be visible at all times while in the building.
– Please practice social distancing when entering, working and walking in the building.
– Please be mindful of the signage and follow the arrows posted throughout the building. This is in place for your safety and to limit path crossing.
– Please enter the building through the door closest to your work area.
– Only one person in the elevator at a time.
– Please wear a mask when walking in common areas, using the elevator, using the copy machines and while walking in the halls and stairwells.
– Please remember to practice social distancing and hand washing when using the restrooms. Only one staff member can be in a restroom at a time. The restrooms are cleaned regularly during the workday. If the restrooms need attention, please con tact the engineer.
– When working in your office/workspace, it is your choice to have the door open or closed. If only one person is in the office/workspace and the door is closed, a mask does not have to be worn. In all other circum- stances, a mask must always be worn. Please be mindful of those working around you.
– Consider calling a colleague instead of visiting their workspace.
– If you need support with your device, please contact Nick Pfister at email@example.com. If you need technology support, please call the Help Desk at 438-3400.
Reminders and Updates from your Support Staff
• The Aurora Employee Assistance Program (EAP) brochure can be found on the shared drive and in a recent email from Ms. Kachache. The EAP can help with many things including child care or elder care searches, wills, legal issues (first lawyer session is free), three free mental health sessions and resources, various screenings and more.
• There is an updated child abuse and neglect reporting form which is able to be completed virtually. How-ever, the policies and procedures regarding its usage remains the same. Please find this document on the shared drive. More information will be shared during opening week.
Our plan is to send out a staff newsletter once every two weeks. In future issues, we would like to regularly include information from the following sources:
• Department Chairs
• School Counselors
• Special Education
• College and Career
If you are the point person for any of these areas, you will receive an invitation to edit a Google doc where you will be able to easily input your information for the upcoming newsletter.
This section will be reserved for staff highlights such as birthdays, weddings, newborns, and other exciting life events you would like to share with the staff. If you have any information that you would like shared with staff, please let Ms. Guzinski know!
News from our Parent Coordinator:
Two Parent Virtual Meetings were held on Tuesday, August 4 at 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. One more is scheduled for Friday, August 7 at 10:00 am. Virtual parent meetings will take place twice a month until we are back to attending school in-person. If any staff is interested in being a part of our virtual parent meetings please send Ms. Green or Ms. Franklin an email requesting to be included.
Teachers, please inform your students who may need hot spots to call the office and ask to speak with the librarian. Hamilton has a limited number of hot spots (75) but should be able to accommodate. Otherwise, the District is asking parents to call their providers for reduced rate or free internet.
I am working on an online store to be added to our website. Current staff and alumni will be able to order Hamilton-themed gear and apparel. If you have any new design ideas please email me.
There will be a number of new teachers and staff joining us at Hamilton this year. Please welcome:
• Xai Thao (Art)
• John Fleissner (Art)
• Lovie Thomas (English)
• Tulita Papke (English)
• Laila Eslame (Math)
• Amalia Villagomez (Bilingual)
• Ms. Chung (World Languages)
• Ms. Vang: School Counselor (A – E)
• Ms. Alsharifi: School Counselor (F – L)
• Ms. Caro: School Psychologist (1.5 days/week)
• Ms. Lempa: School Social Worker (bilingual)
• Mr. Ward: School Social Work Aide