The mission of the Foreign Language Program at Hamilton High School is to develop student competency in the target language. The program provides for direct experience with a different culture so that students become sensitive to other ways of thinking so they may better understand and cope with an increasingly interdependent world. The foreign language program provides cultural and aesthetic enrichment, assists students in appreciation and knowledge of their first language, enhances skills needed in other subjects, facilitates the learning of other languages, and provides expansion of employment opportunities.
The foreign language program will provide all students with opportunities to:
- Understand, speak, read, and write the language being studied at a level appropriate to the number of contact hours which have been spent.
- Recognize areas where an ability in the language being studied may be applied to enhance the learning of other foreign languages.
- Demonstrate competence in using the native language by recognizing the commonalities and differences that exist in the structure of language.
- Participate in activities which provide exposure to the culture of the target language.
- Demonstrate an attitude of open-mindedness toward other ways of thinking and speaking and toward other customs.
- Accept the existence of cultural differences and be appreciative of the worth of all peoples.
- Develop sufficient foreign language skills in order to consider careers in which language skill is valuable as an auxiliary tool.
- Learn about the contributions to Philosophy, art, science, education, religion, and government made by members of other cultures.
- Think critically by using effective and appropriate thinking skills when communicating through a second language.
- Value the pleasure of communicating in another language.