F. J. Gaenslen K-8 School is located in a quiet, residential area on the west bank of the Milwaukee River known as the “Riverwest Community”. The school, named after Dr. Fredrick J. Gaenslen, first opened in December, 1939 as a school for children who were suffering with Polio. In 1988, Gaenslen, and their neighbor, Fratney School, merged and moved into our present site. F. J. Gaenslen School, a state of the art facility, was architecturally designed to meet the academic and physical needs of regular education students and children with physical and other special education needs.
From Our Principal:
Wow, what an exciting year we are having here at Gaenslen this school year! The students are growing academically, emotionally and socially. We recently closed the second trimester and celebrated our student’s many achievements. As we move into our final trimester, let’s all work hard to finish strong and try our very best to make this the most successful trimester ever. Please remember that it is extremely important to be present and on time every day! “DECIDE-COMMIT-SUCCEED”