Get a First-Class Start at MPS
Free transportation for Head Start students!
Be part of Milwaukee’s most experienced three-year-old and four-year-old Head Start program!
MPS is home to Milwaukee’s most experienced Head Start program. Head Start is a free child and family development program offering half-day and full-day education programs for three-year-old kindergarten and full-day programs for four-year-old children at 26 sites across the city of Milwaukee.
Students also receive
- breakfast/snack and lunch,
- health services and screenings,
- parental involvement opportunities, and
- family resources.
Families must meet federal income guidelines to qualify. Children receiving foster/kinship care are automatically accepted. Enrollment priority is given to children with special needs. Seats fill quickly! Call MPS Head Start at 414-252-0350 to see if your family qualifies and to find a program near you.
It is vital for children to have a strong academic foundation. A child’s first classroom experience should be a positive time that builds self-esteem and confidence as he or she continues to learn and grow. Sometimes children need extra help to keep up with the initial challenges of a classroom environment.
The Head Start program is based on the belief that children learn best through a combination of support services. This preschool program provides parental, educational, medical, nutritional, psychological, and social support to help children consistently succeed.
What Is Head Start?
- A free child and family development program
- A half- or full-day classroom experience
- A solid curriculum to establish school-readiness skills
What Does Head Start Offer?
- Individualized educational experiences
- A daily breakfast/snack and lunch
- Health services and screenings
- Parental involvement/volunteer participation
- Family resources
- The child must be three or four years old on or before September 1 in the year of enrollment.