Family involvement is a crucial component to a complete and fulfilling Montessori education. With effective communication and shared knowledge, staff and family members work together to create an environment for students that is conducive to learning and beneficial to their emotional, mental, social and physical well-being. At Craig Montessori, we invite families to participate in their child’s learning and discovery.
Family and Community Involvement Policy and Compact
Craig Montessori offers families a neighborhood-based school with a Montessori focus. Our staff recognizes the importance of building a strong network among the school, the family and the larger Milwaukee community in order to create a successful educational environment for our children.
At Craig Montessori, we are committed to a full partnership with families and the community in the education of our children. To that end, we will:
- Hold annual September and March Open House events where information about our educational program will be shared.
- Provide a monthly calendar of events that will take place at a variety of times to facilitate the involvement of our families.
- Promote involvement in a School Governance Council and Parent Teacher Organization that will meet at times that accommodate the schedules of families and staff members.
- Gather information related to school needs as well as the implantations and evaluation of the school educational plan.
- Regularly provide information about curriculum, assessments and individual student progress.
- Provide ongoing assistance to families and staff members to improve our ability to support each other in the education of our children.
- Involve parents in the development and implementations of plans to inclusively address both Special Education and regular education needs of students.
- Facilitate family participation by addressing barriers (such as child care needs) and challenges (such as transportation) to family involvement.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for families in our school and classrooms.
At Craig Montessori, we believe that parents are the first and most important educators in a child’s life. Education begins at home and our staff strives to build upon the basic foundation and values instilled in young learners before they attend school. Families are essential to a child’s success both inside and outside the classroom. For this reason, Craig Montessori provides endless opportunities for parents to be active in their child’s education. A variety of meetings, events and activities are held during the year to keep parents and guardians involved.
Parents are encouraged to volunteer in classrooms or in the school office in order to help the Craig Montessori staff complete tasks more efficiently or to simply have an extra set of hands on deck. In addition, adult chaperones are often needed for field trips. We appreciate and are extremely thankful for the wonderful parents and grandparents who offer generous donations of time and energy.
Craig Montessori holds a variety of family friendly events that give parents and students a chance to have fun and learn together. Each year, the PTO organizes the following activities for families:
- Back to School picnic (September)
- School pictures
- Annual Heritage Night (February)
- Children’s Open House and Ice Cream Social
- Spaghetti Dinner
- Silent Auction (Spring)