Parents play an integral role within the Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori learning community. We realize that parents are the first educators in a child’s life, teaching them daily tasks and encouraging an interest in learning long before children attend school. Parental support is needed throughout a child’s educational career. By setting a positive example at home, students receive the extra motivation to pursue high levels of achievement.
Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori hosts parent education nights that help parents understand the Montessori teaching methods. These informational meetings offer parents a glimpse at the materials and resources students will use to complete their lessons. Parent education nights enable parents to provide a helping hand as students complete assignments and projects. A strong support network at home encourages students to reach their maximum potential.
Because parents are such a vital element of a successful education, every effort is made to include the input of families when developing educational plans and policies for students. By attending PTO or School Governance Council meetings, parents have the opportunity to voice their opinions and offer suggestions.
Our families can also maintain a strong role in their child’s education by being active in the school community. Parents are welcome to volunteer during school events, visit classrooms to assist teachers or offer a helping hand in the school office. In addition, staff members are available for mini-conferences or in-depth conversations regarding a child’s academic strengths and weaknesses.
Family and Community Involvement Policy and Compact
Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori offers families a quality school with a Montessori focus. Our staff recognizes the importance of building a strong network among the school, the family and the larger Milwaukee community in order to create a successful educational environment for our children.
Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori School pledges to implement the following to facilitate the partnership among the school, family and Milwaukee community:
- The first parent meeting in September shall be used to inform families and community members of Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori’s School Improvement Plan and Title I information.
- Parent meetings shall include the opportunity for parents to share and initiate ideas, discuss those ideas and make decisions on those ideas concerning the school.
- During the parent meetings, parents shall have the opportunity to review and offer feedback regarding the School Improvement Plan.
- Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori shall implement a school-parent compact.
- Lloyd Barbee MPS Montessori shall assist parents in understanding the curriculum and how it fosters student achievement as well as how that achievement is assessed.