Fifty-Third Street School is committed to the goal of working to ensure that every student is a proficient or advance reader, writer, communicator and problem solver across all content areas. We serve students in K3 through Grade 8, and offer programs designed to meet a wide range of educational needs. Continual academic progress is expected as we educate all children to become productive efficient workers and responsible citizens. Students are taught to exhibit positive behaviors by demonstrating strength of character in attitude and behavior.
The Fifty-Third Street School Creed which states “I can be whatever I want to be” is recited daily by students as they are encouraged to believe and achieve it. Cadets, student council, recreational/sports activities, honor society, and other programs support all around growth and development. Music and Physical Education are offered as well.
Parents are an important part of our team, and are encouraged to participate in their child’s education by attending conferences, programs, field trips and volunteering. Parents are kept informed of school news via weekly newsletters and monthly calendars which provide general school information as well as specific academic goals and objectives delineated by the Common Core State Standards implemented in each classroom. Curriculum and family night activities offer parents a thorough understanding of the district initiatives, Common Core State Standards, Comprehensive Literacy Plan and specific strategies for supporting learning at home. Parents are also encouraged to participate in the PTO and the School Governance Council.
- Type: Neighborhood School
- Transportation: Northwest Region
- Hours: 7:35 a.m. – 2:35 p.m.
- Special Programs: SAGE, Band Lessons, Chorus, African Drum, Arts, 6th Grade Laptop Program (E2 Learning), Accelerated Reading Program, Arts @ Large
- After-School Care: CLC Partnership with Boys & Girls Club
- Extracurricular Activities: Book Club, Boy Scouts, Gardening Club, Girl Scouts, Lego League Robotics, National Junior Honor Society, Student Council, Flag Football, Basketball, Track, Cheerleading