Show of sportsmanship

Mouhamed Fall, a wrestler at MPS’ Bradley Tech High School, didn’t take the state title last weekend, but he was a winner in the eyes of many who watched him wrestle in the 152-pound finals.

Photo courtesy of Sun Prairie High School

After losing to Sun Prairie wrestler Jared Scharenbrock in the finals, Mouhamed didn’t wait for the referee to raise his opponent’s hand as the victor; he did it himself.

“I was fortunate enough to witness this with my own eyes, and it did make me very proud of [Mouhamed’s] poise, grace and class,” said Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association executive director Dave Anderson. “This gesture by Mr. Fall will always afford him my deepest respect and regard. I’m sure his school and coaches must be very proud.”

The display of sportsmanship was also praised by Sun Prairie athletic and activities director Eric Nee, who said: “What Mr. Fall did shows a lot about his character. That young man will do great things in life.”

Congratulations to Mouhamed on his second-place finish and his spirit of sportsmanship!