Happy Thanksgiving!

Even though it seems like Thanksgiving came much later this year, it also is hard to believe it’s already that time. I had to check my calendar twice – and a third time – when I saw the Monday after Thanksgiving is December 2! Thanksgiving being late means that the month of December is going to zip by. We are about to enter the throes of the craziness of holiday shopping, prep and planning.

Thanksgiving, on the other hand, just seems so laid back in comparison. It’s a nice relaxing holiday that allows us to appreciate time spent with our family. No presents – just some great food and conversation.

There is so much we can be thankful for. I’m thankful for the opportunity to serve the children of this community as the superintendent of Milwaukee Public Schools. It is an honor to be a part of the impact that MPS has on the City of Milwaukee. I am thankful for the thousands of dedicated teachers, principals, secretaries, food service workers, building service helpers, engineers and staff who dedicate their lives every day to improving the lives of our children.

I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. May your holiday be filled with family, friendship and great food! (The diets don’t start until January 1.)