10-year-old MPS student’s art on display in the Third Ward

MILWAUKEE — It’s home to some of the city’s hottest galleries, boutiques and dining spots — and through this Thursday, Milwaukee’s Third Ward plays host to the stunning artwork of a 10-year-old Milwaukee Public Schools student.

Fifteen pieces by Hartford Avenue University School student Claire Hanel are on display at Verduras, 181 N. Broadway, a tea house and cafe that regularly hosts art.

“We support the arts and having our daughter’s artwork up is just a thrill for her as well as for us,” said Lisa Hanel, mom to the MPS 5th-grader and a teacher in the district. “We’re obviously very proud — both my husband and I are.”  Claire Hanel is equally enthusiastic, saying,   “I love art.  It is a way I relax and it’s fun!  I think I want to be an artist or art teacher when I grow up.”

Claire’s artwork was introduced to Verduras after the gallery owner’s mother spotted it on Lisa Hanel’s Facebook page — and she showed it to the owner.

Media interested in seeing the art or speaking with the artist should contact Roseann St. Aubin, MPS communications director, at 414.475.8237.

Visit the MPS Facebook page to see more photos of Claire’s exhibit.