2 Bradley Tech wrestlers win state titles

Bradley Tech state champion wrestlers John Jude and Travis Smith

MILWAUKEE — Two wrestlers from Milwaukee Public Schools’ Bradley Tech High School won state titles over the weekend.

John Jude won the 285-pound title to end the year at 53-1 and Travis Smith won the 138-pound title to end his year at 54-1.

“The kids represented our school system and their particular school with great skill and sportsmanship,” MPS Commissioner of Athletics Bill Molbeck said.

The students’ achievement was highlighted by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Jude told the newspaper his win “feels great. I came with a mission.” Smith told the Journal Sentinel “you just gotta believe. I believed in myself today.”

Reporter Joe Shinners wrote that their victories marked the first time the City Conference had multiple champions since 1968, when another two Tech wrestlers — Hector Cruz and Mike Moralez — won titles.

From the Journal Sentinel story:

Tech coach Craig Bevilacqua was thrilled to see both of his finalists come through and wrestle smart, physical matches.

“I’m proud of them,” Bevilacqua said. “I told them that hard work pays off. I said, ‘If you lose, you can only blame yourself.’ They wrestled tough and smart.”

Bradley Tech state champion wrestler Travis Smith standing at the podium